Saturday, February 20, 2010

"Ivy Briefs; True Tales of a Neurotic Law Student"



I just finished this book. Ahhh, it feels so good to finish a book, especially when sitting in a cabin in the snow by a fireplace.

I went to library last week not to get this book but one like it. I am contemplating going to law school. Dustin just mentioned the idea to me a month ago and as I spent the rest of that day thinking about the idea I grew to like it more and more.  In my mind, I would study for the LSATs get into Stanford Law School. Work hard and make the Law Review and then be hired by a big law firm that would help me pay off my student debt in two years flat because of the salary.

Well after that day reality somewhat set in. I realized the amount of debt I would incur. The struggles it would be to have a family and a full-time lawyer job. The reality that I really didn't want to live in California the rest of our lives. The money, time and stress I would have to put in to get a good, no great score on the LSAT.

Dustin found me some great study books and I set out to begin studying for the June LSAT. My mentality has been that I will take one step at a time. See how I do on the test and then use that as a determinant for my school applications.

Anyway I was at the library for a book about life in law school, ex. One L, forget what it would be like to be a lawyer, I wanted to find out if I liked the idea of spending 6 months studying and paying for the test etc. when the studies and school work didn't event sound fun.

I found this book "Ivy Briefs" by Martha Kimes and I couldn't put it down. Martha told of her experiences applying, attending and graduation from Columbia Law School. Throughout the entire book her experiences had me laughing and dreading law school at the same time. Her description of her first year of law school had me absolutely sure that I was not cut out for law. An entire year of 4 hours of sleep a night, 18 hours a day of studying and the never-ending competition between students. As if the homework wasn't enough, I had nightmares about being called on in a class where I couldn't even understand what the title of the class meant. Three years of torture all to end in the expectation that you still had to pass the bar exam. I kept pointing out intimidating facts to Dustin as I read. For example when Martha was taking the bar exam, the test was two days straight of 7.5 hour exams. Honestly!! No one should have to sit in a room writing essays to answer questions for that long.

Besides the scary parts, I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about her clerkship, the law school journal experiences and moot court. I actually thought doing moot court would be fun. I have always enjoyed law and government. I participated in a Youth and Government Program in high school and in my senior year was elected supreme court judge but I have never been fond of being the attorney in a court presenting a case. I am not that outspoken and while I enjoy one-on-one conversations, in front of multiple people and when under pressure I turn beet-red and wish my life would come to an end.

Well I finished the book with an overall positive outlook on my chosen career. And now to the not so fun stuff of studying for the LSATs. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment